Friday, March 20, 2009

Potty Break

Photobucket

Yep, that's a babboon taking a piss on another babboon's head. But they kissed and made up right afterwards so it was all cool.

Photobucket

Today Munchkin and I went to the Fort Worth Zoo with some dear friends. It must have been "Gitcher Rear In Here" day at the zoo because virtually every animal we approached promptly turned around and showed his back side.

We saw striped butts,
Photobucket

purple butts,
Photobucket

and "OMG-is-the-train-coming-yet-is-it-is-it-is-it?!?!?!?" butts.
Photobucket

And this handsome guy was showing his stuff too. Can you spot it? Are you impressed? I know I was.
Photobucket

But I actually did get some fantastic shots of some animals that will likely show up on some flashcards in the near future.

Look at this gorgeous cat. They are cubs if you can believe it.
Photobucket

And I thought this guy was just amazing.
Photobucket

And these little monkeys were at the "Snack Exhibit" diplaying mouths-full of my (now) famous homemade granola bars.
Photobucket

In fact, they were such a big hit that I am going to share the recipe with you. (Actually, I know Munchkin #2's mommy reads this blog and was dying for the recipe, so here it is, hon.)

SHANNAH'S FAMOUS SUPER SECRET RECIPE GRANOLA BARS (or something like that)

INGREDIENTS
3 cups rolled oats
¼ cup flaxseed meal
¾ cup whole wheat flour (you can use a full cup of whole wheat flour and omit the flaxseed meal if you don’t have any.)
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup apple sauce
2/3 cup salted butter, melted
¾ cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup mixed seeds and/or nuts of your choice (I used chopped pecans, pumpkin seed kernels and sunflower seed kernels)
1 cup chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch pan with wax paper.
2. In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. (Mixing thoroughly is key to making them stick together.)
3. Press mixture in prepared pan. Lay another piece of wax paper on top of the mixture and press it down evenly and firmly with your hand. Remove wax paper from top and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are just golden brown.
4. Remove from oven and pack down firmly and evenly with a spatula. Let cool COMPLETELY before cutting. Cut into desired size bars with a pizza cutter.

Note: The last two cups of ingredients (nuts and chocolate chips) can include all kinds of fun stuff. You can try any combination of raisins, other dried fruits, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, nuts and seeds. Anything goes.

These also freeze well and can be saved for lunch box snacks and quick breakfasts. They are SUPER filling and stay with you a long time.

20 comments:

  1. My kids love granola bars but these look fantastic! MAKING THEM THIS WEEKEND!!!

    Stopping by from the VGNO

    ReplyDelete
  2. the granola bars sounds yummy! looks like you had a very interesting experience at the zoo!!! i love your blog and always look forward to your posts! stopping in from ann's to wish you a wonderful weekend. HAPPY VGNO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some good pictures there!

    Enjoy your weekend.

    Happy VGNO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love zoo pictures :) Haha re the zebra you should try finding a rhino sometime - it's a sight.

    I just came back from Barcelona where we saw the cutest thing - an albino wallabee with a teeny tiny non-albino baby riding it its pouch. I'll send you the pic if your e-mail's around somewhere.

    Happy VGNO

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice pictures!

    just stopping by from VGNO to say hello. have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make homemade granola bars all the time. I always send them to school. Happy VGNO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the granola bar recipe! Stopping by on my first VGNO...have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, what a freaky zoo you went to!!!

    love the "waiting for the train butts"

    happy VGNO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was laughing out loud at the first picture - had to call hubby over to show him...he was appropriately grossed out! (giggle!)

    Thanks for sharing your super famous recipe! ;) I'll definitely have to try making them... :)

    Happy VGNO - have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh no, lol, your blog is going to be rated X soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the best looking granola bar recipe I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures! The granola bars look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG I just spit my coctail! That picture is hilarious. LMAO, thank you, I needed that tonight! Happy GNO and I hope you were able to make it out with the girls tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL too funny.Just checking out the party hopping. I have never done this one. nice to meet you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi.
    I hope you had a fun VGNO.

    Today I am leaving 100 comments.
    Wish me luck!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. test test test, ....I cannot wait to try the AWESOME granola recipe (shhh, tammy)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll be trying out the granola recipe too. :) Thanks!!

    Love the zoo pics - too funny. I think we're going to plan a trip to the Ft. Worth Zoo too-we've been talking about it for over two weeks now. It's the best - too bad the Dallas zoo isn't as grand. :(

    You're getting some GREAT pics - WTG Shannah!! I better watch out!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made the granola, and they turned out fabulous, and easy to make! I LOVE that kind of recipe! Scott even liked them!! ...tammy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great sense of humor + recipe = big fun for me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete